Circo Maximo Experience
A place of entertainment and one of the City’s undisputed landmarks, the Circus Maximus comes back to life thanks to an innovative valorisation project using augmented (AR) and virtual reality (VR).
One of the most relevant monuments in Roman history, the Circus Maximus can for the first time be seen through all its historic phases thanks to a ground-breaking project using interactive display technologies that have never before been used in such an extended outdoor area.
The headsets available give a virtual rendering of the Circus Maximus by overlapping images of the past to the present-day reality to reconstruct its initial magnificence: in particular, the Arch of Titus will appear in its original majestic height.
The Circo Maximo Experience, through continuous flashbacks to the past thanks to reconstructions in augmented and virtual reality, will enable you to see the life of the age-old valley unfold before your eyes, stroll through the Roman shops and watch a chariot race among shouts of encouragement and overturned chariots.
The eight stops are the following: the valley floor of the Circus in the archaic period, the Circus from the 1st century BC to the 1st century AD, the Circus in the imperial period, the seating tiers (cavea), the Arch of Titus, the shops (tabernae), the Circus in the Middle Ages and in modern times and lastly, “A Day at the Circus”. The tour is available with immersive glasses (see-through technology) and stereo audio earphones included in the admission ticket to the “Circo Maximo Experience”.
From Tuesday through Sunday, from 9:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. in winter time; from 9:30 a.m. – 7:00 p.m. in summer time
24th and 31st December: 9.30 a.m. – 2.00 p.m.
Last admission: one hour before closing time
Closed every Mondays, 25th December, 1st January, 1st May
Please note: rain may cause visits to be suspended – please check in advance
Full entrance: € 12,00
Reduced entrance: € 10,00*
Groups: 10 +visitors: € 10,00
It is possible to apply for a refund and/or a change of date only in case the show is cancelled for technical reasons or for unfavourable weather conditions.
A refund and/or a change of date shall only be granted in case the show is cancelled.
It is possible to apply for a refund and/or a change of date only by and no later than 15 days after the cancellation date. Presale costs shall not be refunded.
* Reduced price tickets
– youths under 26 years of age
– adults over 65 years of age
– teachers in service
– journalists with a regular press card (professionals, trainees, freelance journalists), law enforcers and military personnel with an ID and groups of at least 10 people
– people who purchase a reduced-price ticket online, shall have to carry on them the ID entitling them to the reduced-price admission ticket.
– people with disabilities and/or registered disabled civilians with a minimum 74% certified disability and an escort from the European Union
-European Union tour guides and tour interpreters
– To ask for free admission, you must book exclusively through the contact centre at +39 060608 (from 9:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m.) and tourist Infopoints (with a presale right of 1€), or purchase the tickets at the ticket counter on site (without a presale right of 1€).
TICKET CAN BE PURCHASED
- Online summer time from: 10.00 a.m. to 6.00 p.m. and winter time from: 10.00 a.m. to 3.30 p.m.)
- Through the Contact Centre at +39 060608, at the cost of a local call (every day from 9:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m.).
- At the Circus Maximus, ticket counter on Viale Aventino
- At Tourist Infopoints at:
TERMINI STATION, on Via Giolitti, at platform N. 24.
MINGHETTI, Via M. Minghetti.
NAVONA, Piazza delle Cinque Lune.
CASTEL SANT’ANGELO, Piazza Pia.
SONNINO, Piazza S. Sonnino.
FORI IMPERIALI, Via dei Fori Imperiali on the corner with Via della Pace.
CIAMPINO AEROPORTO, at Arrivals.
FIUMICINO AEROPORTO, at Terminal C, International Arrivals.
Phone +39 060608 (everyday 9.00-19.00)
- The site can be visited without a multimedia device by only purchasing the admission ticket at the ticket counter.
- For Info and purchase, call: +39 060608 (every day from 9:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m.).
- Booking Advised
- Children under 14 can wear the headsets and enjoy the experience only if accompanied by an adult who must sign --the disclaimer available at the ticket office.
- To rent the headset, you must leave in deposit an ID (card or passport, in the original)
- Admission will be organized in small groups
- email@example.com (e-mail replies will be sent from Monday through Friday, except on holidays)
Roma Capitale, Assessorato alla Crescita culturale - Sovrintendenza Capitolina ai Beni Culturali